- Include a clear attempt to develop a theory
- Include references to a clear theme
- Avoid leading questions
- Ask GOOD questions -- not yes/no
- Decide what is most important for this witness to say
These are due on your desk at the start of tomorrow's class period. I encourage you to TYPE your work and e-mail yourself a copy so that you can use it in the computer lab tomorrow. You must bring a hard copy with you to class either way.
The assignment is worth 20 points.
Our example direct from class today is below. If you are one of the people assigned to continue the line of questioning we started, you must ADD at least 20 questions. Remember -- our finished directs will have around 40 questions (give or take).
Direct Examination of Riley Rendlow
1. Riley, would you please state your full name for the court?
A. My name is Riley Rendlow.
2. How old are you Riley?
3. Did you go to college?
a. Oh yes, I graduated from the University of Illinois with a biology degree.
4. What do you do for a living?
I currently work as an animal caretaker for the estate of Estelle Heeney-Potter. I also am a part time volunteer at the Animal Café.
5. We’ve heard a little already today about the Animal Café, but can you tell the court exactly what it is?
6. Did you know Estelle Heeney-Potter?
7. How did you meet her?
a. Well, I first met Estelle at the Animal Café. She came in one day to start the adoption process for her two dogs, Bessie and Homer.
8. When you first met Estelle, were you aware that she was a wealthy woman?
9. Do you know whether Estelle was very active with the Animal Café?
a. Yes, sometime after I met her I learned that she was actually a co-founder of the shelter. She loved animals as much as anyone I’ve ever met.
10. How did Estelle come to appoint you to be the caretaker for her pets?
a. Well, we really hit it off.
b. She visited the Animal Café with the dogs a few times, and we started to chat a lot.
c. It turned out we shared a lot of the same interests – books, cooking, movies, walking and more.
d. And I think she may have been a little lonely since her two kids, Addison and Alexi pretty much ignored her.