We will simulate a legislative hearing on the Guantanamo Bay issue.
Guiding Question: Should the United States government fund the closure of Guantanamo Bay Detention Center?
Each of you will play the part of a senator OR of a representative from a specific interest group. We will use this format to examine the legal issues at stake related to Guantanamo Bay. Each of you will work individually to complete your portion of the assignment.
- Senators: Khaylian and Delissa
- Center for Strategic and International Studies: Vanecia
- Heritage Foundation: Shaquara
- Human Rights Watch: Shang
- American Civil Liberties Union: Rukiat
- Coalition for Terror-Free Communities: Maya
Use the websites listed on your worksheets to complete your research. However, be aware that some of the links on the pages are a little outdated. If a link does not work, search the website for the information you need. Use search terms ("Guantanamo Bay", "torture", etc.) to find answers for your question.
The worksheet is due at the start of tomorrow's class. It is worth a total of 35 points -- 5 points per question.
Senators -- your worksheet only has 6 questions on it. You will also need to draft a list of questions to ask the representatives from the different groups.
Tomorrow, we will hold our hearing. The procedure for the hearing is below:
- The chairperson will call the hearing to order. She will then state the purpose of the hearing.
- Each senator will make a brief opening statment expressing her expectations for the proceedings.
- Each representative will have an opportunity to make an opening statement. After each representative speaks, the senators will have the chance to question her/him.
- Opening statements should take 1-2 minutes. Questions and responses should take 5-6 minutes.
- Finally, the senators will discuss their decision.